SEVP’s “Study in the States” website has another useful update to the “Questions from Designated School Officials” blog:

Question: May I issue the Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Status,” to an F or M student while my school has a pending update to the Form I-17, “Petition for Approval of School for Attendance by Nonimmigrant Students?”

Answer: If your school’s Form I-17 does not match the school’s current operating status, you must update the petition by reporting all changes.

You may continue to admit F and M students and issue Forms I-20 for previously approved programs while you have a pending update.

If you are updating your Form I-17 by adding new programs, you cannot issue a Form I-20 for any of those programs until the Student and Exchange Visitor Program has approved those updates.

For the full article and past blog updates, visit the “Study in the States” website at:

Tagged with:

Comments are closed.